- .NET Framework: SQL Server 2016 RC1 and later require .NET Framework 4.6 for the Database Engine, Master Data Services, or Replication. SQL Server 2016 setup automatically installs .NET Framework. You can also manually install .NET Framework from Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6 (Web Installer) for Windows.
Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 require KB2919355 before installing .NET Framework 4.6.
- Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 require KB2919355 before installing .NET Framework 4.6.
- Network Software: Supported operating systems for SQL Server have built-in network software. Named and default instances of a stand-alone installation support the following network protocols: Shared memory, Named Pipes, TCP/IP and VIA.
Note: Shared memory and VIA are not supported on failover clusters.
Also, note that the VIA protocol is deprecated. This feature will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server. Avoid using this feature in new development work, and plan to modify applications that currently use this feature.
- Hard Disk: SQL Server requires a minimum of 6 GB of available hard-disk space.
- Disk space requirements will vary with the SQL Server components you install.
- Drive: A DVD drive, as appropriate, is required for installation from disc.
- Monitor: SQL Server requires Super-VGA (800x600) or higher resolution monitor.
- Internet: Internet functionality requires Internet access (fees may apply).
Note: Running SQL Server on a virtual machine will be slower than running natively because of the overhead of virtualization.
The following memory and processor requirements apply to all editions of SQL Server:
- Memory: Express Editions- 512 MB, all other editions1 GB
- Processor Speed: Minimum: x64 Processor: 1.4 GHz, others 2.0 GHz or faster
- Processor Type: x64 Processor: AMD Opteron, AMD Athlon 64, Intel Xeon with Intel EM64T support, Intel Pentium IV with EM64T support
**Note Installation of SQL Server is supported on x64 processors only. It is no longer supported on x86 processors. * The minimum memory required for installing the Data Quality Server component in Data Quality Services (DQS) is 2 GB of RAM, which is different from the SQL Server minimum memory requirement.